An Attempt at Structure - Week 5 – Reality Has Never Been Spookier!

Reality Has Never Been Spookier!



There is something incredibly funny that an announcement of a local lockdown 3 hours late happened on Halloween, it just put a hilarious finish to what has been a bit of a bizarre week. The creeping realisation that we may just be stuck like this for a while is not a fun thought, but hope is not exactly flooding the streets. This will all be over; normality will return, and life will be a bit better than it is right now but the glowing incompetence of this country doesn’t exactly inspire me to think this will be over any time soon. I'm not a fan of this 'new normal' ideal, I think it invalidates the fact that is okay to be upset, angry and worried about the situation, telling people to accept this as the new normal implies they should be okay with it. I'm muddling my point here, but I want a return to normalcy as much as the next person, but the reality is that it isn’t just around the corner and it's okay to be upset about that. There is no denying the announcement that we are returning to lockdown has really knocked the wind out of me, it’s that depressing 'two steps forward, three steps backwards' feeling and although it is not exactly square one, it feels somewhat close to it. The country reopening slowly enough for me to get a job, move halfway across the country and start university, only to then be told I'm stuck in my flat for a month is just a real blow to motivation and my mental health. The reality is that I'm going to be fine, not much has really changed and at the end of the day it is only a month, but I miss having more of a grasp over my circumstances than before. 

As per, I've started these pieces extremely negative because there is a never-ending onslaught of negative news flowing through ever week. however, I realised the other day that it has become a little bit funny looking at the state of everything. Don't get me wrong, the government's incompetence in handling this pandemic has caused so much tragedy and death, but last night our prime minister turned up 3 hours late to his own press conference and the entire country was more concerned that it was going to run into ‘Strictly Come Dancing’. It is ridiculous, frustrating, hilarious and an absolute mess, but it is cathartic to laugh at these greedy idiots who deserve to rot. Personally the thing that has made this announcement and worries particularly bad is that I've found a routine, I've found friends and I've been doing so much stuff in such a short amount of time that to immediately lose that is just crushing. Maybe a return to 'Zoom quizzes', hour long mandatory walks and digging through quarantine watches might be weirdly nostalgic because that feels like an eternity ago. I'm sure it will be fine, positivity is important and I need to keep that in mind, it’s so easy to be angry and slip into this slum but I want to try and stay as positive as possible, because although it’s important to appreciate that it’s okay to go in that slum, it is equally important to at least strive to stay positive. Lockdown two is going to be very different from Lockdown one, but it is shorter, more independent and with actual University work to keep me going. Looking to the future of what this month is going to look like is important, but let’s have a look at what I got up to this week:

La Ronde

I've had to study a lot of films that people could argue are 'classical films'', I've made no attempt to hide the fact I'm usually not much of a fan because I find them formulaic and in an essence incredibly dated. However, when there is a rare glimpse of exciting creativity that creeps through, I tend to really appreciate it more. 'La Ronde' is a delightful little film, whimsy and playful whilst being insightful and entertaining, I really loved it and found its style to be a refreshing moment in these studies. The film follows a mysterious narrator who presents the film in this glorious opening monologue, shot in basically a single take as he assumes the role as the film's compare and introduces the film's brilliant concept. An anthology film following small tales of love, as each couple betrays the last and it uses that Monty Python structure to delightfully explore the inconsistencies and levels of honesty in this world. The compare pops up in disguises, revelling in the melodrama with each couple and just dressing this film beautifully. Some segments work better than others and it can feel a little repetitive towards the end but I think it is an ambitious film and a small little delight.

La Cienega 

There's a weird brand of cinema that I always kind of struggle with, it is this notion of 'art cinema' that is aggressively realist and revels in creating drama by just presenting life as it is. Having characters just wander through their lives and evoking ideas by kind of just touching on themes is something that has to really work for me to love. I like to feel a director's hand, not too overtly, but just a sense that they are making decisions with a purpose, you can evoke so much with such a simplistic activity if it is portrayed with a purpose. 'La Cienega' suffers from feeling very directionless, perhaps I didn’t give it quite enough time and attention, but I got absolutely nothing out of this film. The issue is that there is a very kind of surface level idea that is quite explicit, the plot revolves around seeing this upper-class family be kind of bad people and it isn’t subtle about this fact. Greed and wealth distribution has been a trope abused in films since the dawn of cinema and I wish this film had more to say than 'this is bad and this shouldn't happen', it reminds me of a bad Ken Loach film in many ways.

Saint Maud 

Now I usually do the three films I've studied and then finish with the films I’ve watched for pleasure. However, the third film was so dull and nothing that I'd rather talk about A24's 'Saint Maud' which I saw at the BFI Southbank this week and still haven't recovered from. The highest compliment I can give this film is how insanely effective this film is, it may have a bit of an issue of being 'another A24 surreal horror film', but there is no denying it is a fantastic one. I was drained coming out of this, I was shaking, I was exhausted, and I fell in love with this film. The story of a Catholic nurse caring for an ex-dancer suffering from cancer is not exactly original, but the way Rose Glass directs the focus on the protagonist is rarely seen in most horror films. First and foremost, the film is a character study, a slow unfolding piece about the way religion can be a comfort and a delusion but the film uses highly disturbing horror elements to evoke these ideas. Some moments I could barely watch, the score is overwhelming and cuts to the bone and some of the imagery is truly haunting. A slow burn but an effective one that I fell hard for, especially during that phenomenal third act. Well worth it if you are a horror fan. 

Everything Else 

Starting this week by watching the iconic ‘Tampopo’ has probably explained why nothing has felt weird this week. It is a bizarre film to say the least, it starts as a crime drama, becomes a romcom and occasionally dips its toes into sketch comedy. The film is entertaining, it is absolute madness, but the simple idea of just showing people enjoying food in different ways is quaint and somehow occasionally moving. I wouldn’t recommend it to those (like me) who are quite squeamish, but I understand why it is so beloved. If it weren’t for another national lockdown than I would probably be spending so much money at the BFI over the next month because I'll take any opportunity to visit. This week (as well as Saint Maud) I went to see another iconic beloved film: Ingmar Bergman's 'Persona'. This was a lot. The film is heavy, disturbing, gut wrenching and utterly horrific in places, it feels like watching someone's entire soul being studied in front of you with a gruesome dissection. I felt overwhelmed, exhausted, and honestly it made the rest of Halloween feel like some sort of lucid dream. A genuine masterpiece that I never want to watch again. Other than that, I've just being going by watching my usual comfort British Comedy and it has helped balance an overall quite heavy week.

And that about does it! Next week is Reading Week and what a perfect time to have to spend half of it locked in my flat. Thanks for sticking with me, look after yourselves and thanks for reading!