An Attempt at Structure - Week 9 - Young Man Shouts at Cloud

An Attempt at Structure – Young Man Shouts at Cloud

ft. There Will Be Blood, Waltz With Bashir, The Lost Honour of Katharina Bloom, The Social Dilemma, Fahrenheit 11/9

Last week I wrote about how quickly the days pass by in this bizarre state we live in and then I blinked, and now I am sat in front of my laptop beginning to write another one of these a week later. The days just seem to disappear and I’m sure a lot of people can relate to this feeling that this year feels like a never-ending nightmare that went by ridiculously quickly. I've been busy and nowadays that is more than a luxury, the constant stream of work is healthy but as I have said before it doesn’t at all feel like university life. I think it is a fair assumption to say the mood across most students is one full of anger and frustration, we were basically tricked into travelling across the country only to be locked in and spending most of the time paying 9 grand for a series of zoom meetings. This has been the year that universities have revealed whole heartedly that they are a business first and an educational institute second, we were tricked into coming here to make them more money. I always strive for independence and the idea of coming to university was a welcome relief during a pandemic but paying the ridiculous amount of money I'm paying to do something I could have easily done at home is increasingly aggravating. We were told that there would be in person teaching and an attempt at proper university life, but evidently, I am 5 minutes away from my campus and I have visited it twice. There has been petitions, there has been protests and nothing has come from it, in the grand scheme of atrocities it pales in comparison, but it looks like this will once again be swept under the rug. 

I probably sound like a broken record as I consistently use this platform to complain about things beyond my power but in all honesty, what else am I meant to do? I've been thinking a lot about this rumbling generational change, the youths of this country are angry and vocal, we've been gaslight by the older generations, and it brings me hope to hear my generation loud and clear. Maybe it is just the circles I associate with and a simple reflection on what I am seeing, but we are a loud and passionate generation who are fed up with being undermined by those in power. Perhaps I am being idealistic and the reality is not the same as what I see but we have the capacity to orchestrate so much change, I'm aware of the irony of calling for change from a blog don’t worry. Will the world look different when I'm 40? Of course! Will it look better? I don't know. Will it be my generation's doing? I can only hope.  

There Will Be Blood

I have been meaning to watch this film for far too long and after a bit of a dull day I finally decided to sit down and enjoy it. Of course I absolutely adored 'There Will Be Blood' from the opening second to that incredible final scene, It is just one of those small miracles in filmmaking where everything comes together basically perfectly, the two and a half hours pass but without notice and each second is rewarding and captivating. The slow and subtle unravelling of the protagonist is done in a way that isn’t pretentious or self-obsessed (*cough*) it is done with precision and honesty, prioritising realism and dedication above plain and simple social critique. Daniel Day-Lewis is just a powerhouse in this film, his attention to detail in this performance is extraordinary and he never wastes a second, every second can be an important second. But an overlooked performance is that off Paul Dano, an actor I have always loved giving it his absolute all in this captivating and outstanding role. Johnny Greenwood's score is perfect, PTA's script is perfect, Robert Elswit's cinematography is perfect and I instantly fell in love with this film. 

Waltz with Bashir 

Now this a film that requires a bit of a disclaimer. This incredible animated documentary is a beloved work of art that is politically.... complicated. Filmmaker Ari Folman retraces his lost memory of the events in the Lebanese war, interviewing friends and following leads to work out why he has supressed this memory. The main point of contention is the fact Folman is an ex-IDF soldier and the film is essentially an attempt at explaining and portraying these soldiers as sympathetic individuals. I really enjoyed and appreciated the film; the animation is beautiful and there are sequences that left me speechless throughout. But I am nowhere near educated enough on the complicated and contentious politics of the Lebanese War and Israeli/Palestine relations, so I honestly don't feel like it is my place to chip in on the controversy behind the film. All I can say is that is a really personal and emotional film, following Folman himself and there is very little political bias throughout outside of the unavoidable. It is worth a watch from a craft perspective for sure.

The Lost Honour of Katharina Bloom

Weirdly, this is the first film I have watched that was openly criticised and not necessarily portrayed in an objective light. Which I find fascinating because we have had to study some dreadfully dull films. I didn’t the dislike the film as much as some people did, but I didn’t love it either, it is a very fine and average 70s political melodrama. This adaptation of the novel by the same name follows Katharina Bloom, a young woman who has her life destroyed by the media and members of the police and state, resulting in her slow unravelling. It serves its purpose, makes its point and does it in a somewhat intriguing and inventive way, it can be a bit silly and over the top, often politically simplistic and stereotypical. I wouldn’t really recommend it because it isn’t that effective outside of context, but it certainly didn’t deserve the constant criticism levied at it. 

The Social Dilemma 

After watching Waltz with Bashir, I had a real hankering for some documentaries, so I had a look at the one that everyone was talking about. I hated this. I downright hated this. One of the most ironic messes I have ever seen and for a film pretending to be a woke call to arms, it is a bizarre manufactured and a transparent product. The film is an exploration into how we are all addicted to our phones and that social media companies are evil for designing products that thrive on our attention. I know. We all know. 'Social Media Bad' isn’t a revolutionary statement and the most frustrating thing is that the entire documentary is pointing out a problem with very little ambition. It is so clearly an attempt at creating the 'next big Netflix documentary' that everyone talks about for a while. The outlandishly ridiculous fictional recreations are painful to sit through, over simplified and yet so over the top. Pointing out this problem is nothing new and doing it with absolutely no nuance is criminal.

Fahrenheit 11/9 

In order to get the taste of 'The Social Dilemma' out of my mouth I decided to go back to the documentary safety net of Michael Moore. A really renowned figure in American Politics and documentaries, Moore has been pumping out social critique after social critique with his unique wit and biting arguments. A reference to his iconic documentary about Bush, this film goes in deep into the world of Trump's America, focusing on case studies showing the deep corruption throughout American Politics. one of my favourite things about the documentary is how it appears to be an obvious criticism of Trump but goes on to draw attention to the crisis in Flint Michigan and a call to arms against corruption. It is incredibly biased and perhaps a little simplified, but Moore covers his ground and really makes some fascinating points, on the surface it appears to lack focus but there is a clear conclusion and thesis in the closing act. Well worth a watch.

And that about does it! Next week we are out of our lockdown and I cannot wait. Thanks for reading!