An Attempt at Strcuture - Week 10 - Remember Good News?

An Attempt at Structure - Remember Good News?


Ft. Vice, The Headless Woman, Snowpiercer, Wild Strawberries, The Social Network 

It may surprise some of you, but I often get called out for being a cynical person, especially from my family and I can’t really blame them. But in all honesty, I think it is kind of impossible not to be incredibly cynical at my age right now, I tend to consistently reference how this generation seems to be one of the angriest. The cynicism comes from an undeniable connectivity, an impossibility to stay naive about the problems going on thanks to social media and the way said social media broadcasts any opinion right in front of you. This is all obvious set up to say when I read the headline 'U. K to begin distributing vaccines by the end of next week' my first response was suspicion and cynicism. Good news so is so uncommon these days and after 8 months of hopelessness and feeling like we might never get out of this pandemic, news like this just doesn’t seem real. I just kept waiting for that sudden reveal of bad news but instead, for the time being there is light at the end of the tunnel. I get that people are sceptical but there has been an insane amount of work put into this and maybe things won’t be back to normal quite yet, but there is hope that it will start to go back to normal. It will be a long time before I get it due to my age and the fact that I am not really high risk, but I'll feel much safer going out and not worrying about passing it to those actually at risk when the vaccine begins distribution. This is good news. Don’t forget that, it may not be the instant change we crave, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

Weirdly in a week with the best news possible, came a soul crushing decision for an industry I love. Warner Bros have decided to release their movies next year in cinemas and on streaming services simultaneously. This is so disappointing, it makes sense due to the pure uncertainty of how cinema distribution is going to work, but for the cinema industry this is a dangerously inconsiderate move. I love going to the cinema, I think it is one of the great pleasures of life and I will try to go see as many films as possible because no other experience than a cinema can make you really appreciate a film. However, this decision is going to really punish some smaller cinemas who gain so much revenue for showing the latest releases. When they are available in a more convenient way at home, people simply aren’t going to go to the cinema which is such a shame because we need to look after the arts, whether that be live music, theatre or cinema it is unfair to dismiss them for the most profit convenience. Seeing the light at the tunnel for the pandemic is one thing, but the fight then starts for how we rebuild, don’t let them dismiss the power of the arts, as they have been trying so hard to do. 

Vice

I didn’t go out of my way to see 'Vice' when it was first released because I've grown extremely tired of biopics and especially ones directed by someone like Adam McKay. But out of the blue this week I thought I would give it a go. And my god was this film a mess. It's so all over the place and just such a vapid attempt at being a 'cool' film about Dick Cheney, McKay is ambitious, and I give credit to the man. The film tries to break the mould of so many biopics by using humour and some interesting breaks of style, but all this results in is an utter mess of focus and a film so overblown with showy off moments that eventually comes off as extremely unmemorable. For a biopic, it hardly builds Cheney as a character at all, Bale's performance isn’t brilliant even if he really disappears, the character of Dick Cheney is bland and inconsistent. The political statement is thin and underdeveloped, there are far too many moments stuffed in to show how cool and edgy McKay is and I really didn’t get on with 'Vice', in fact I basically forgot about most of it straight after it finished.

The Headless Woman

I've already wrote about another Lucrecia Martel film on here: 'La Cienega' and it’s fair to say I didn’t love it. It is part of that 'Arthouse' film genre that frustrates me, the idea of making a heavy Realist film where nothing really happens, and you are meant to dig apart the metaphors between the lines. I enjoyed 'The Headless Woman' a lot more because it felt like it had much more intention, Martel clearly put effort and care into the clues throughout the mystery. The difference between this and 'La Cienega' is that this is a film with a central question that uses the mysterious pacing and lack of events ton unravel the mystery and then to make a political point. I enjoyed it, I like a film that is mediative with interesting ideas, but it can be tough to really enjoy and appreciate when the whole purpose behind the construction is trying to be elusive.

Snowpiercer

Unbelievably it took me to be forced to study 'Snowpiercer' before I finally got around to watching it and I had a lot of fun with it. You can’t go into a film like this expecting subtlety and nuanced storytelling, what you can expect is a lot of fun and some absolutely crazy pacing and structure. I really enjoyed my time with 'Snowpiercer' mostly because of the over-the-top performances and the incredibly creativity Bong Joon Ho injects into his action. This unique flavour of south Korean cinema within an American blockbuster results in a pretty standard dystopian film brimming with creativity and energy, not afraid to break tone for moments that strive for entertainment. I also found myself really loving the political side to this film, it is surprisingly nuanced and subverts a lot of my preconceived gripes. A really entertaining watch that might suffer if you aren’t willing to let go of logic for a bit.

Wild Strawberries

An upcoming essay on auteur ship inspired me to finally watch more of the work by iconic filmmaker Ingmar Bergmann and I was lucky enough to catch 'Wild Strawberries' at BFI Southbank this week. After watching 'Persona' I knew I would probably love this film, Bergmann's creativeness and thematic consistency is something I really appreciated, however I didn’t expect to absolutely fall head over heels in love with this film. A film about the anxieties of death, about the past confronting your future and the legacy of your life staring back at you. Yet it is a quiet film, a melancholy but beautiful piece that absolutely stunned me, Bergmann breaks out similar themes but chooses to put a positive and emotional take on them. I don’t really want to say much about this film without spoiling it or writing an essay about it, but 'Wild Strawberries' is a beautifully shot and gorgeous experience that I fell in love with

The Social Network

I closed this week off with watching a David Fincher classic I'd never actually seen before. And it was just.... fine? I honestly don’t quite understand why this film is held to such high regard, people are absolutely obsessed with this film and in all honesty, it didn’t really do much for me. It felt like a pretty typical biopic with a very tight script but awful pacing and performances, genuinely a structural mess in some places. I think the idea of putting it as a sort of court room drama with flashbacks is nice, but the payoff is inconsistent and in reality, it doesn’t need it. I can really appreciate just how formidable the script and direction are, it is hilarious in places and fascinatingly tense in others, but these are just small moments that don’t really bridge together that well. Eisenberg and Garfield aren’t brilliant in this, I don’t know if it is intentional, but I couldn’t take either of them seriously and they seem to be trying way too hard to do "serious acting". I don't know, maybe I missed the meme culture behind it, and I don’t worship everything Tarantino says about film so that's why it didn’t quite work for me.

And that about does it! Thanks for reading as always and keep holding onto that light at the end of the tunnel.